Thursday, October 9, 2014

Ah #13…. Let me walk you home from school….



Big Star… Thirteen…

So #13 is a little harder to write about. He was the only true contender. And spilling all in my usual fashion could really hurt the man I love now. I want a complete accounting of the whole adventure SO this one and might sound different.  In part because it’s so past tense the hindsight is blinding.

#13 had maybe one picture on OKCupid.. He had a round, pink face, a confident smile and a shiney bald head.  Actually there was two because I recall him in a fu Manchu  mustache and sombero. Reading his profile I wondered if he was maybe on the autism scale because the things he put out on dating website made him super easy to sleuth. Having a very public job meant that a specific element of society might could be interested in his personal details. But the profile also started with he was in the process of divorce but not ACTUALLY divorced. The OKC algorithm had us at the highest compatibility of anyone yet and my mind tossed between Autistic? Simply sweet and vulnerable? And my mind ended with “he’s a lawyer, too grown up for you”.
But one thing stood out.  He had only a couple bands listed in music he liked and one of them was Beirut.

His favor song was “Scenic World”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARbZ9St8zCk&noredirect=1

Mine was from the same album “Postcards from Italy”:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X61BVv6pLtw

Either way, it’s not a band I had ever seen in the online dating world as a “favorite” and I don’t know I’d list them in the favorites but I sure do dig that first record and have a sentimental attachment because Beirut was the first band Andy Kotowicz (high school sweetheart who died in 2010) had shared with me in years – when we made up for good in 2005. Anyways, I felt like #13 listing this band was sign.  So I emailed him.
As it turned out, #13 live just 5 blocks up the road from me.  In his first correspondence he restated he was going through the divorce and while there was zero chance of it falling through, he was struggling with it because it wasn’t something he ever thought he’d do.  I explained that I had a use for friends that dug great music and since we lived down the street from one another we should at least go for a walk. Now the sequence of events has faded. But this is what I think happened. I think we made loose plans – like let’s do a neighborhood walk on Thursday, exchanged #s and the dude just dropped off the face of the earth.  Well the earth I knew him from – he cancelled his OkC account the day after we were SUPPOSED to meet.  It was really hard not to take that personally.  We didn’t have firm plans. Just walk and Thursday. He just didn’t return any texts (his preferred method of communication) on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning,  when I went to re-read all that wrote to see where I might have jumped the shark, his profile was “disabled”.  It took every trick in the book to keep me from spiraling into self loathing and blame and/or convince myself #13 had to be a real asshole because I didn’t do anything wrong.

I let the weekend pass and tried hard to not go down the bad rabbit hole and instead my thoughts started to turn to this idea that he was a really sweet guy in a bad spot emotionally who probably feels like a total shit heel who can’t call now.  I felt like it was a voice of a much wiser, healthier being, guiding me to forgiveness and empathy. So I summed up all the courage I could and called him. Of course it went to voicemail but I said that I was taking a chance that the world is NOT about me and that if he didn’t get in touch because he felt like a jerk for standing me up, he can have a do-over.  Within an hour he was back to text (he really doesn’t like to talk on the phone!) and he was really going to meet me for a walk that week.

And so one Wednesday night, I started walking his way on our street and he started walking mine. I got way closer to his end then he did mine so it wasn’t really the middle.  The night was in early September and the air was heavy and cold – which was weird. Cold for San Diego anyways.  He was wearing a knit hat so I didn’t recognize him but he did me.  We walked to the end of the street and turned around and walked back. Deciding on the way to get some food. The conversation was very easy to have. We laughed a lot and had tons of weird things in common like sleeping with a fan and not liking coffee.  We stopped at this hole-in-the –wall Thai place where the cook/proprietress, was pretty much telling us what we wanted to eat. #13 was a musician and has a twin with whom he always lived near until coming to SD for law school. He played upright bass and appreciated that I appreciated Charles Mingus. #13 couldn’t help but sing along to the background music and talked a lot about how he had never failed at anything in his life before his marriage and he knew it was just an ego bruise but it hurt like hell as it was one thing he never wanted to fail at. He was very articulate and in touch with his emotions and didn’t seem to have a problem wearing said emotions on his sleeve. But his phone kept blowing up. His mom, his brother, his mom, his brother. He was sure that they were calling because earlier that day he had gotten back from a weekend at Disneyland with his kids and well they knew that Weds was the day he had to give them back to momma so they always called on Wednesdays.  With the 4th call from each, #13 said he had to go and asked if he could walk me home but we were really close to his and kinda far from mine so I said I’d enjoy the walk alone.

The next night he was going to see a band and I was going to see another band – it was a weird  aligning of the rock’n’roll heavens to have 2 really good bands in San Diego at once. And well we each chose differently.  That night he was out with co-workers and he got pretty lit up and started sexting me.  While I’m no prude, I was a little shocked because a) we just didn’t have any thing like that kind of conversation the night before b) he’s got a really public job, he shouldn’t be leaving a paper trail like that. So I deleted the texts and told him the next day he probably shouldn’t text stuff like that. He said he had no worries but was sorry if I was offended. I was not.  

While we texted most days he didn’t ever pick up the phone. He had his kids every Mon/Tues and every other Fri-Sun. So Wed/Thur were the only for-sure nights off.  He had a pretty regular standing Thursday thing with other single co-workers. And a couple Wednesdays of planned walks came and went with him saying he’d meet me and then at the last minute say he just was too sad to go out. After 2 weeks of that and a message saying he clearly wasn’t ready to date but wanted to be friends, we made a plan for a Saturday he was free. Same deal: I set out walking his way and he mine only he got nearly to me this time. We took a really long walk, about 5miles of winding through the neighborhoods and talking non-stop about everything under the sun. We stopped for breakfast at a little café and decided he really needed to hear Mingus on vinyl so we walked back to mine.

It was a little like being in High School again. I put on the record and #13 laid on the floor in a sunspot peaking through the blinds. I wasn’t too anxious to sit on the floor and told him he should probably take the couch since Linus was known to pee there but he said he didn’t mind. Ok. I sat down next to him and we listened to Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus. We each noticed different parts and had favorite bits that the other really had never noticed.  The sun was warm on my face and my legs and our hands sorta touched. And the “like high school” part was laying there no longer hearing the music but instead just the loud talk in my head on the “will he kiss me? Does he know his pinky is touching my pinky? How could he not know? OMG is that his foot touching my foot? Is this on purpose? Can he smell the dog pee?...” I turned my head to look at him and found he was looking at me and he said “yeah, this won’t work” and he kissed me. We were super good kissers. And again, I hadn’t felt anything like that since I was 15.
I had plans that night so after spending all day together he left around 6pm. I really didn’t want him to go and he didn’t seem to want to go either but it was sorta what needed to happen.

Then it was back to a couple of weeks strung together of him saying he wanted to get together then flaking on the night-of.  I started feeling like a fool, like I was rube but then I would remember the conversations and the feelings and conclude I couldn’t have imagined it, that #13 was just in tough spot and I just needed to be cool.  So in late September he was going to Seattle for the weekend. He said he had some old friends up there and was going to some show. The night before he left he said we’d walk but again he was flaking out. I was getting really paranoid at that point. Feeling like such a fool for always waiting when he always said he was in no place to date.  Then at 8pm he called and said he would come over. Coming straight to my house made me feel like booty call but I was also just really wanted to see him again. So he came and we listened to more records, talked more and made out lots more.  We stayed up talking and such until about 5am when he had to go home, get his stuff and go to the airport.   While he was in Seattle he texted me pics and stuff and I felt pretty good about idea if I could just be cool, he was going to get free of the sadness and I’d be there.  So my mantra became “I’m waiting on #13”

He got back from Seattle to a lot of work and so there was no chance to hang out. That weekend he had his kids and while he had suggested I do stuff with him and the kids, I declined because I love kids but being a kid of divorce, it’s not fun meeting the ones you connect with but they don’t hang around.  So I was doing my usual walk and I saw him and his babies in the park. My heart sped up, I didn’t know what to do. I wondered if he would think I was spying.  I felt like I was witnessing something I shouldn’t see and I felt silly for being conflicted at all. I kept walking, I tagged the pole I always do to turn around. I walked back by (on the other side of the street) and he was still there and his kids were so freaking adorable and clearly LOVED their daddy.  After I was past, I texted to ask if it was him who I had seen and he said yes, I should come by. I said I was already past because I knew I would fall in love with those kids.  He said they were heading home  and I should walk with them, so I turned around and walked back. We walked just a few blocks. His daughter is 5 and his son is 2.  His daughter was already skeptical of “lady friends” I could see and she was totally acting like I was putting her to sleep but the little boy was so eager to show everything and anything and in a few short blocks, he wanted to get out of the wagon and hug me. GAH-heart melt!

Another week went past, I went out with a terrible #14. The next week we made a play date with him and the kids.  I met them all at a park. We played for HOURS. Tag, Zombies, Lava.  It was fun and the little girl stopped pretending I wasn’t there. On the way home #13 wanted to stop at this coffee shop an pick up some dessert.  I stayed outside with the kids in the wagon.  The wall of the café was made of large stone faces and mortar. It reminded me of this fireplace of my childhood babysitter where he’d drive matchbox cars along the mortar and park on the rocks.  The little boy had some cars so I showed them how to play. We were all driving cars and making up stories for each different rock face. It was fun. That time BOTH kids wanted out of the wagon to hug me. 

In the end, #13 was still dealing with bouts of sadness and chronic canceling of plans. I still had one more online date to go on before I could quit and I re-met Robert.  My mantra in early October was “I’m waiting on #13”. It ended with Robert.

No comments:

Post a Comment